Bcom 1st Year Writing Skills Notes and Drafting Notes
Bcom 1st Year Writing Skills Notes and Drafting Notes:-This post uploaded by sachin daksh. and in this post we share you bcom notes. its is very easily to learn notes. all this post is very important and helpful for all b.com student whose have bcom. in this post we are covered by all university syllabus. this is very helpful for Bcom, BCA, MCA, BBA, MBA, Mcom.
Writing Skills and Drafting
Q.24. what is meant by writing skills? Give the various steps of writing skills. Also give the guidelines of effective writing skills.
MEANING OF WRITING SKILLS
Writing of letters, memos, reports, notices etc. in a clear, simple, concise, courteous and attractive way which attract the attention of the reader, and influence people to act or think accordingly is termed as writing skills. Writing skill is an important part of written communication. Effective writing is prerequisite of existence in modern set up and success in any Endeavour. Writing skill contributes to one’s success in any profession or business. To become successful, one should master the skill and art of expressing oneself clearly and precisely through written message. One’s excellence in writing skill determines the chances of influencing people, winning friends and gaining business.
Writing like any art spring from the inner most feelings. Clean and audible writing is a bridge between the minds of the writer and the reader. Effective writing able the reader to understand the message in the same sense and spirit, that the writer want o convey. As written communication occupies significant. Position in the oration to the writing generation, the sender should pay proper skill. Effective business writing requires s proper planning, hard work, concentration and practice.
MAIN STEPS OF WRITING SKILL
The main four steps of writing skill can be described as follows :
(1) Planning : First stage of writing skill, involves planning of the material to be written and facts to be collected. Before writing, the writer should decide in advance about the purpose and scope of
written message and the desired res once of the person to who message is addressed. A plan for good writing shou involves the following things: (i) purpose of written message, (ii) se action of thoughts, (iii) the person to whom it is written, (iv) desired espouses, (v) collection of sufficient information and statistics.
(2) First Drafting: In the second stage of message, first draft of message is prepared. Ideas and thoughts are expressed jn words and sentences and paragraphs are made. Writing first draft requires organizing and outlining the matter in logical sequence and steps. These outlines act as ‘blue prints’ facilitating construction of the building. In simple words, process of putting words to paper is termed as first drafting.
(3) Amendment in the drafting: After preparing the first draft, it will be read again and necessary amendments should be made. Purpose of communication, object and the words used in writing should be evaluated again to make it effective. it should also be ensured that this written material is written from the reader’s point of view, not from writer’s point of view. Grammar, spelling, punctuation and construction of sentences should be checked properly to make writing effective.
(4) Editing : Editing is a very important step in achieving writing skill because mistakes In writing can change the entire meaning of the sentence—IV is seen in the editing whether the selection of
wordiest appropriate or not, language of drafting is of high quality, there is lid technical mistake or format of drafting is perfect or not etc. Emotional content and tone is also changed accordingly and efforts are made to make the message logical, well-knit and effective.
GUIDELINES FOR EFFECTIVE WRITING
For effective writing following points should be kept in mind:
(1) Answer of necessary questions: For effective writing necessary questions should be answered properly. For example (i) Why to write, (ii) Whom to write, (iii) what to write, (iv) medium of
writing and, (v) where and when to write. Answer of these questions is necessary for effective writing.
(2) Use familiar words: For effective writing, simple and familiar words should be used in place of difficult and unfamiliar words. Simple words make the better understanding of the written message.
(3) Use short words in place of long expressions: Short words are preferable instead of long and trite words. For example in place of ‘enclosed herewith please find’ we will use the word ‘enclosed’ and in place of ‘with reference to’ word ‘refer’ should be used to make writing effective.
(4) Use strong words: For effective writing, strong words should be used as they make an immediate impact on reader’s mind and the message becomes forceful.
For Example: strong word weak words
Boom period of business prosperity
Slump period of decline in business
tycoon very successful businessman.
(5) Avoid technical words or Jargon: Jargon refers to the special language of a particular trade or profession. This language is easily understood by the members of that professional group but cannot be understand by the outsiders. Therefore efforts should be made to minimize its use while communicating the persons outside their group.
(6) Keep the paragraph short: A short paragraph is clear and more effective than a long one. The average length of a paragraph should generally be eight or nine lines. A paragraph should
also contain unity. Unity can be achieved by writing a paragraph around a single topic or idea. The supporting details should also be filled for the topic.
(7) Avoid needless information: Unnecessary information’s should be avoided to make writing effective. The writer should keep in mind the needs of the reader rather than the information at his
(8) Avoid surplus words: Very often we use words that add nothing to the meaning of the sentence. For example, “Three conditions should be fulfilled”, is better than “There are three conditions
that should be fulfilled.”
(9) Writing should be practical and logical: It is also be remembered that writing should be done for practical and logical values as no one like to read impractical messages.
(10) Make the paragraph move forward: An effective paragraph is one that moves forward through logically connected sentences. This movement is brought about by our own clarity of
thought, logical arrangement of ideas, smoothness in style, careful word choice and sentence structure and use of sentence connectors wherever needed.
(11) Emphasize the right words: Proper emphasis should be given on the content of a sentence. This requires logical thinking. The writer must be clear in his mind so to what he wants to convey
Q.25. what do you meant by Drafting? Which general points keeps in mind while doing preparation of ideal drafting?
MEANING OF DRAFTING
Process of preparing rough format of letters, circulars, and notes before giving them final touch is known as drafting. Rough drafting of any letter, information or circular is done before sending them to higher authorities. This process includes changes of different types in the presented subject matter, suggestions or corrections. After making required changes and amendments message or
information is sent to the related persons.
Process of drafting starts after completing planning and organizing the message. For drafting, all ideas are put on a paper and then these are review with a fresh look. Words and sentences are revised and refined to improve the flow of message. While drafting writer is free to re-arrange, add and delete the ideas. Enough space is left between the lines so that necessary changes may be made easily.
GUIDELINES FOR EFFECTIVE DRAFTING
Following points should be kept in mind while making the draft ofa letter :
(1) According to subject : Drafting should be done according to the subject matter. All the necessary details should be included in the matter and required reference is also be given to make the drafting effective.
(2) Balanced presentation: For a good drafting, it is necessary that presentation of subject matter should be made in a balanced way. For this purpose, whole matter is divided in a appropriate wav such as description of subject, pre-instructions regarding the subject, systematic information regarding the. Facts etc.
(3) Clear and simple language: The language used should be clear and simple which makes it easy to get the right meaning. It should not contain miss-leading sentences. When preparing the draft don’t use unwanted words and do not repeat same words again and again. The letter should not be unnecessary lengthy.
(4) Paragraph: There may be different sub-subjects related to a subject. In such a cash each sub-subject should be explained in a different paragraph. The size of paragraph should be kept short to
make it clear and effective.
(5) Impressive and Forceful: The language used in the letter should be impressive and tactful so that it forces the reader to think about the desired purpose of the letter.
(6) Based on truth and facts: The drafting should be based on truth and should not contain any self made facts and data. If the given data and facts are given with proofs then the receiver honors
(7) Avoid using the word I and we: ‘You’ attitude should be adopted instead of ‘I’ and ‘We’. In some situations when the word ‘You’ cannot be used, a different manner of writing may be adopted.
For example, instead of writing “a problem has arisen because of you” write “a problem has come up.”
(8) Quotation: To make the subject more clear, quotations related to decisions and orders should be included in its original form. It helps to understand the importance of the subject matter.
(9) Enclosure: Important papers which are attached to the letter to support the subject matter, is known as enclosures. Number of enclosures should be indicated on the original letter.
Short Answer Questions
Q.1. What are the main steps of writing skill?
Ans. See page 86 and 87.
Q.2. what is the guidelines for effective writing skills?
Ans. See page 87 and 88.
Q.3. which general points should keep in mind while drafting?
Ans. See page 89.
Follow me at social plate Form
Related Post Link:-
New Post Link:-