- 1 Bcom 1st Year Modern Forms of Communication Notes
- 1.1 Modern Forms of Communication
- 1.2 MODERN FORMS OF COMMUNICATION
- 1.3 ADVANTAGES OF MODERN FORMS OF COMMUNICATION
- 1.4 MEANING OF FAX
- 1.5 WORKING PROCEDURE OF FAX
- 1.6 ADVANTAGES OF FAX SYSTEM
- 1.7 MEANING OF E-MAIL
- 1.8 METHOD OF SENDING E-MAIL
- 1.9 METHOD OF RECEIVING E-MAIL
- 1.10 ADVANTAGES OF E-MAIL
- 1.11 MEANING OF INTERNET
- 1.12 USES OF INTERNET
- 1.13 PROBLEMS FROM USING INTERNET
- 1.14 Short Answer Questions
Bcom 1st Year Modern Forms of Communication Notes
Bcom 1st Year Modern Forms of Communication Notes:-This post uploaded by sachin daksh. and in this post we share you bcom notes. its is very easily to learn notes. all this post is very important and helpful for all b.com student whose have bcom. in this post we are covered by all university syllabus. this is very helpful for Bcom, BCA, MCA, BBA, MBA, Mcom.
Modern Forms of Communication
Q.45. what forms of communication a-re being used in modern business world? Discuss their advantages.
”Recent technological developments have changed the scenario of communication.” Comment.
Ans. Over the last two decades, remarkable developments have taken place in communication technology. Fast changing technical developments have transformed the whole way of doing the
business. The barriers of space and time have totally collapsed. Not very long ago it took days to communicate with someone through a letter but now-a-days, with the advent of E-mail, Cellular phones,
we can contact in a few minutes. Present day business communication is no more confined to geographical boundaries. The world seems to have been squeezed in the small room, where, with the help of certain facility, it is possible to communicate with anyone in any part of the world.
Present era is Information Technology Era. The Information Technology Revolution has transformed the business communication with manifold and multidimensional effects. Availability of information at higher speed and cheaper cost has changed the conventional written and formal communication to more direct and informal communication. Corporate sector has also realized the importance of new forms of communication that is way they are ready to forego their old methods in favor of new technology. Banks, financial institutions, Insurance Companies, production and Service corporations have made significant progress in the application of new techniques of communication.
MODERN FORMS OF COMMUNICATION
(1) Electronic Mail or E-mail: E-mail is a facility on computer to send messages from one person to another or from one place to another. It involves sending of message by a telecommunication
links. The message is typed on a computer screen at one end, and is conveyed to the other end through electric impulses. Under this system, a computer holder has to become member of some electronic
mail operator. E-mail is very fast. Time and Paper is saved by e-mail system and it is not at all expensive.
(2) Internet: Internet can be defined as international network of computers. It is that network which connects the computers all over the world across International Territories. We can use internet to buy things, to find latest information’s in the business, course information in different universities for students etc. To use internet, it is necessary to become member of internet service provider.
(3) Fax: Fax is a technique of electronic communication in which photocopies of the documents are sent with the help of telephone lines. It is a very quick means of transmitting and receiving visual material such as photographs, diagrams, documents, copies of art work etc. It takes airtel t e minutes in transmission of documents. It ones not require the message to be typed or copied first, therefore there is no scope for copying errors”. Faxing a document is like instantaneous transmission of a photo copy of the document.
(4) Video Conferencing: Video conferencing is an excellent technique of audio-visual communication. People present at distant places can communicate with each other like attending a meeting, or conference in a meeting room. Under this system, a meeting is conducted using television displays of the participants and with the sound of their voices. Thus, the participants can see one another on television screen and can hear one another. In this way they exchange their views. In this technique not only the communication of message is possible but also concerned persons can talk direct
among themselves and their postures, facial expressions, gestures etc. also help in Communication of the message. In real sense, it is a substitute of face to face communication. Video-conferencing can be accomplished in two ways:
(i) By using computer: It is known as computer conferencing and for this computer, web camera, telephone connection and internet connection are required.
(ii) Without using computer: Video conferencing without the use of computer needs digital web camera, video conferencing machine, telephone, satellite connection and projector.
(5) Cellular Phones : Cellular phones is also known as mobile phone as it is very small in size and can be taken easily wherever we Eo. It provides the advantage of connectivity, convenience and
freedom to roam. The possessor of mobile phone can talk even during driving car or travelling in train. Now, most of the business transactions and exchange of information take place on mobile phones as it
provide facility of talking with anyone at any time at any place.
(6) Computer: The computer is the head and heart of modern information technology. Computer accepts stores and processes the data as per instruction and communicates the information at very
high speed. Computer is used to compose, edit, revise and print business letters, report, memos and presentations.
(7) Voice mail: This technique is used to leave short messages for the person who is not available at the moment. This facility requires telephone equipment and computerized call management system.
(8) Telex or TelePrompTer: The telex is the name given by the post office people to a teleprompter whereby written messages can be communicated from one place to another with the help of a machine.
When a message is to be sent, the typist presses a button, waits for the dial tone, dials the number desired and if the number is contacted, types the message. The message as typed in the originating
office is typed on a small strip of paper at the receiver’s end. This is one of the quickest and most accurate methods of transmitting written communication.
ADVANTAGES OF MODERN FORMS OF COMMUNICATION
Main advantages of modern ways of communication can be summarized as follows:
(1) Message can be transmitted quickly and easily from one place to another place with the help of modern communication means. In the latest method not just time is reduced but distances are also getting shorter as well.
(2) Modern way of communication increases the connectivity of the people. Now with the help of cellular phone one can easily keep himself connected with others from anywhere and at any time.
(3) Teleconferencing can lead to substantial saving both in term of money and executive time. The people situated at distant places can organize a meeting without travelling long distances as if they were all places together in one room.
(4) Copies of, important documents including certificates, degrees, agreements and contracts can easily be sent from one place to another with the help of fax machine.
(5) Modern way of communication also reduced the cost of sending messages. E-mail is far quicker correspondence than ordinary postage. Nothing is charged for sending and receiving E-mail even though the message travels across the world.
(6) With the help of modern ways of communication, the present business world is advancing towards less formal structure. It reduces the office paper work and enables the employees to work even without sitting at office.
(7) With the help of e-commerce, the time required creating, transferring and process a business transaction is reduced significantly due to automation.
(8) Modern communication means also provide better customer services. With the help of internet we can get information about the product, its features, price and terms of sale etc. with ease and speed.
(9) E-commerce is proving helpful in creation of new business markets. Now the information about the product can be shown to the customers on web sites and orders can be fetched easily. Thus, it help to enter into new markets and provide easy and cheap access to the potential customers.
Q.46. Explain the working procedure of Fax and E-Mail. Discuss their importance in the business communication.
MEANING OF FAX
Word ‘Fax’ is derived from Facsimile. ‘Fuse’ means to make and simile means ‘like that’. Thus, it means to send a similar copy of the original. Through Fax, any document printed or. Handwritten,
graphs, chart, picture etc. can be sent from one place to another place in the form of a photocopy, with the help of telephone network. It takes hardly any time to send the matter in larger quantity to any
place. Where the distance between sender and receiver is very wide, this system proves very useful and beneficial.
WORKING PROCEDURE OF FAX
For transmitting a message, a document is fed in the fax machine which is converted into electric signals. These signals are transmitted through telephone lines to another fax machine which
reconverts these signals into printed out hand copy. Then the receiving fax machine sends a message confirming the receipt of entire message. Thus it becomes clear that. in this process both the
photocopying and telephone processes work together. As in a photo copying machine, photo copies of the matter are obtained similarly in a fax machine a photocopy is received by a person sitting at distant place.
Now the use of satellite fax machine is increasing day by day. In this system, satellites are used instead of using telephone lines. This system reduces the cost of sending messages and improves the quality
and reliability as well.
ADVANTAGES OF FAX SYSTEM
Today fax service has become an important part of our daily working. Therefore, it is being used increasingly in business, trade, banking, insurance, education and various other fields. The main
advantages of fax system can be summarized as follows:
(i)The message can be sent easily and quickly with the help of this system.
(ii) Printed and written document can be sent easily in the form of Photocopy – any concerned person.
(iii) In the absence of concerned person, fax machine can adapt the message.
(iv) It takes hardly any time to send message in larger quantity to any place. It is a very prompt system of communication.
(v) There is no possibility of making alteration in the message to be send through fax system.
(vi) The message remains secret in this system.
(vii) There is no need of typing the message in this system. It saves a lot of time in the business workings.
MEANING OF E-MAIL
E-mail is a communication method in which letters or messages are sent through computer from one place to another. With the help of e-mail a message can be sent from one place to another place
faster than any other media of communication. Under this system, a computer holder has to become member of some ‘electronic mail operator’. In this system, instead of receiving and sending messagers on paper, the message are sent and received by computers. This system works out to be much cheaper than fax system.
In this system, the matter of the message that is to be sent is prepared by word processor on the computer screen. Then message is sent to the desired address through the telephonic network. The message that we have sent is displayed on the computer screen of the receiver. If the receiver is not present at that time, the message is stored in his mail box. When the concerned person return to the computer, he gets the information that a message is received and he can get it exhibited on the screen. If necessary, the concerned person can take its prints also with the help of printer.
E-mail is a fast, time and paper saving system of communication. It is not at all expensive system but to avail this facility it is necessary that both the computers are connected with the internet.
METHOD OF SENDING E-MAIL
For sending e-mail along with computer and internet connect, tin, an e-mail address is also required. E-mail can be sent to any person at any place if he is connected through internet. For sending
e-mail firstly connect the network of E-mail programmed to a computer network. It requires a password and the name-of user.
Then to send an e-mail, we first click on the ‘start’ of the windows and the complete list of programmers available will be displayed on the screen. On clicking it, a ‘New Message’ window will be opened.
In the box where ‘To’ is written; e-mail address of the receiver is typed. Below this in the subject box type the complete message and click on the icon ‘send’ on the left corner of the New Message Window. In this way your message is sent to the concerned person.
METHOD OF RECEIVING E-MAIL
To receive the E-mail, first of all connect the E-mail network with computer giving name and address of user. Then a list of receiving e-mails is displayed on the screen. Now the user can read the message.
ADVANTAGES OF E-MAIL
(1) E-mail is the most modern and inexpensive medium of sending messages at distant places.
(2) It does not require to spend anything on paper, pen, envelop and postage stamp. It saves time and money both.
(3) With the help of e-mail, a message can be sent to many persons at a time.
(4) E-mail can be used to send messages even when the receiver is not available on his computer.
(5) The receiver can not only read the message but can take the prints of the message also.
(6) E-mail makes the business communication less formal. It provides easy connection between management and workers.
(7) E-mail is far quicker correspondence than ordinary postage. A message can reach any part of the world in a fraction of a second.
(8) Service of this powerful message system gives an immediate access to worldwide contacts.
(9) E-mail improves report delivery and distribution both inside and outside the organization.
Q.47. what do you understand by Internet? What are its uses? Also write the barriers in its way.
MEANING OF INTERNET
Internet is a International network of communication which connects the computers all over the globe across international territories with the help of telephone lines. Many different networks
operated by different organizations are connected together to form the internet. It creates such a big route for exchange of messages that all information’s can be sent or received quickly.
Internet actually started off in the late 1960 when computers began to play important role at major universities and research institutes of U S Defense Department Agency. Until 1990 s, a few
people used it ; but in 1993 with the introduction of a new technology called World Wide Web, things changed a lot. In the Book ‘Business Communication’ written by K. K. Sinha he writes, “If we look at the
speed and expansion of communication, we will see that while it took radio 40 years to reach 50 million people, T. V. and computer did this in about 13 and 16 years respectively. But internet has reached 50
million people in just 4 years
to use internet, it is necessary to become member of internet service provider. In India it is controlled by BSNL. Apart from this, it requires hardware and software. A PC multi-media Pentium micro process having 16 megabyte capacity, along with WINDOWS terminal software, Internet Explorer is required for internet. In addition to hardware and software; a telephone line and a specific modem is also necessary. Faster the speed of the modem, better will be the utility of internet.
USES OF INTERNET
This is the world of internet. The modern society cannot even be dreamt without the internet. Different uses of internet may be enumerated as under:
(1) E-mail. This facility of internet is very popular among the users. A person can transmit his message to any part of the world in a moment. This is a paperless facility which saves time and money,
both. The sender and the receiver both should have the ID address on some Website like : Yahoo, Hotmail, Reify mail etc.
(2) E-Banking: This service has revolutionized the banking sector. This is service which has interlinked all the banks in the world. As a result the use of services like Tele saving, Mobile Banking, P.C. Banking and E-Banking is increasing. This provides facility to operate your account even when you are sitting in your drawing room or working in your office.
(3) Internet: It is private internet in which a web site is designed for the use of the employees of the organization. It is generally used to place documents such as telephone directory, staff
manuals and office record. The main advantage of internet is that the information stored is readily available and it can be easily updated from time to time.
(4) World Wide Web (WWW): World Wide Web is a revolutionary development on the internet. It is a source of large amount of information on various subjects for different kind of users. It can be
used for number of purposes such as to advertise, to invite job applications, to invite matrimonial etc. It may be used to provide detailed information regarding a product or a service or an organization etc. The information can also be published on the Web.
(5) Chat Room: Through this process the speaker and the listener can speak to each other and also see each other with the help of a web camera. It provides facility of face to face communication between the people living in different parts of the world.
(6) E-commerce: This facility of internet has converted the whole world into a big market. It provide facility of buying and selling goods through internet. Prominent manufacturers and dealers
advertise their products and service and provide necessary details on their Web site. Customer can buy anything at any time in any corner of the world by paying through his credit card. For this, the
buyer fills a form on the web site to select the item to be purchased and provide delivery and payment details. Then information is electronically transferred from computer to computer in an
(7) Telenet: Through telenet you can log in on any computer connected with internet and work on it as if it is under your control. This is also known as Remote Log In. It helps in downloading any
new and useful information from one computer to another computer.
PROBLEMS FROM USING INTERNET
Though, internet is the fastest and most convenient form of communication and provides widest possible range of information, yet there are some problems in using it. Main problems can be summarized as follows:
(1) Problem of language: Mainly English language is used in internet. Therefore, in a country like India where many languages are used, language becomes a barrier in the use of internet.
(2) Busy Lines: Though, unlimited knowledge and information is available on internet but the route through which it reaches to the consumer is highly crowded and busy. Therefore sometimes,
user has to wait for a long time to get connected with internet.
(3) Problem of Hacking: Hacking is the worst problem in which any person can steal your password and misuse your personal files and records for his benefit.
(4) Virus problem: Some ill minded persons or cyber criminals spread viruses which create problems in the working of the internet.
(5) Misuse of information: Some unsocial elements misuse the information provided on the internet. For example internet also provides information how to make bomb. This information can be
misused by the unsocial elements to spread fear and violence in the society.
(6) Spreading vulgarity: Internet is misused for spreading interest in vulgar films and literature which produce an adverse effect on the youth.
(7) Misuse of credit cards: Misuse of credit cards by criminals is also a big problem while working with internet.
Q.48. “Modern Communication system has changed the world into a world village.” Discuss.
“Modern age is the age of information revolution.” Discuss the statement.
Ans. In the ancient time, enough facilities for communication was not available. At that time, most of the messages were communicated orally. The speaker used to deliver the message directly
to the listener. In fact, the system was limited to talking and listening. When the message was to be communicated to a large group then drums, loudspeakers etc. were used and when there is need to
send message to a person living far away then messengers are sent to give the message. But gradually, other media of communication come into existence like written communication, letters, telegraph’
newspapers; magazines, telephone, radio, television etc. This stage can well be recognized as the starting of modern age.
Now it is the time in which we are living where ways and forms of communication have undergone an important change, this stage is known as ‘Communication Revolution’. This is the age of paperless
communication where computer, internet, e-mail, satellite, communication, video conferencing etc. are in use for communication. This has changed the whole world into a global village by providing a worldwide communication network. Now one easily keep himself connected with others from anywhere at any time with the help of modern means of communication. The person sitting at distant places in different parts of the world can communicate with each other as if they were communicating face to face. In the latest methods not just time is reduced but distance are also getting shorter as well.
Note: Now discuss the modern forms of communication and their advantages. For this see page 157, 158, 159 and 160.
Short Answer Questions
Q. 1. Write an essay on Internet. Ans. See Page 163 and 164.
Q.2. Explain the importance of video-conferencing in communication.
Ans. Video conferencing is an excellent technique of audio visual communication. People present at distant places can communicate with each other like attending a meeting or conference in a
meeting room. Thus, it is a substitute of face to face communication. Main advantages of video conferencing are as follows:
(1) in video-conferencing, persons sitting at distance places in different parts. of the world can communicate with each other as face to face conversation, therefore there is no need to travel long distances to attend the meeting or conference.
(2) It provides facility to an organization to make fast and direct communication with its various departments and branches situated at distant places.
(3) This facility saves time and money on making long and tedious journeys.
(4) Body movements, facial expressions etc. which also communicate feelings, attitudes etc. can be seen in this technique.
(5) Big business organizations are using this system to conduct business meetings with the concerned executives who are geographically scattered all over a region.
Related Post Link:-
New Post Link:-